day 5: March 21~22, 2010

I must apologize for my lack of writing.
Oh hold on, who am i kidding?!  The reason I really write here is not because anybody actually reads it... no, I write here just to write.

Anyways, so then without an apology - I have some more pictures to show you.
I kinda like them.  I don't know; perhaps they will appeal to the voyeur inside you.  Maybe by looking at them you will get some small pleasure from imagining that you can see the world through my eyes even for the briefest moment.  I know that is something I always think about when I look at somebody else's work.  While you look at a photo - particularly an instant photo of this nature - you have to ask yourself what prompted the photographer to respond to his surroundings by trying to capture that moment.  What was it in that very second that generated the energy which, in turn, fired the synapse that triggered the muscles in his or her finger to contract just enough to press that shutter button?  

Sometimes I ask myself why I even bother pressing that button.
I wonder if it is the fear of losing a thing or moment; or whether it is the joy of being able to keep it that motivates me.

Blah, blah, blah.  
Enough said.
Enjoy.
Near my work a procession of very elegant trees are busy conducting what could really only be called an overture to spring (left).  This year more than last, I feel that spring is taking its time preparing its thematic material.  Soon, I hope I will be able to provide you with a few variations on the  grandiose (perhaps Mahler-esque) Themes of Spring.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

In the mean time perhaps I can give you shot I took earlier this week (right).  Winter, it would seem, is as fond of building anticipation leading up to its final cadence as Beethoven was (the ending of the 9th) and is dying with all the enthusiasm of a Soprano (particulary the kind that Puccini likes to write - think Mimi of La Boheme who takes a full 10 minutes of precious audience time and about 3 attempts before she finally expires).

As you walk out of my school's front gate (Shinsung High School) you are confronted with the climbing slopes of Suri mountain.  It snowed earlier this week again.  I took this picture while walking down the hill (it's a 1227m walk to the bus stop from the school gate)
.
One last picture for today, this is one that I have to show you - it is from a place close to where I live.  
Okay, so I am walking home from school (after my 1.2km walk down the mountain and a 35 minute bus drive, I still need to walk about another 1km home from the bus stop at Isu subway station); anyway, I am walking home, on the last leg of my trip, and I decide to take a detour (possibly a shortcut) through small roads that are winding through a rather dormant construction zone. 

I discovered the creepiest place on earth.  Who would have thought that in the heart of Seoul there are whole city blocks of abandoned and gutted houses; condemned and waiting to be demolished.  
I say its creepy, and at first, it is.  Then you stop and think about it and you notice the details of the place -pictures that still hang on the walls, odd shoes tied in a bundle on the doorstep - and you remember that this was a place where people lived.   A house is a funny thing.  People actually live in them you know.  And they don't just spring up from nowhere either.  Houses are the result of dreams; of many hours of hard, hard work and of love.  Houses are never born out of hate - they are built to shelter, sustain and comfort those that will occupy them.  Even if a house is bought, many hours of deliberating over which house to buy will have been spent on it over and above the financial expenses.  Many hours of life are sacrificed on houses.

I think that is why thy are creepy when they are deserted.  They are almost living things, which when left vacant remind us of our own mortality.  Staring at an empty, abandoned house for too long feels like staring at a corpse.

I will upload some shots from my exploration into the houses soon - urban ruins are definitely cool.
Thanks for stopping by!

~Dim 


    

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Weighty thoughts? Unburden your brain here!

Followers


Template Brought by :

blogger templates